District News - "What's New?"
Court Order Restricting Cascade Buses in Tumwater Canyon Finally Removed
Years ago, in the 1940's, there was an attempt to consolidate the Winton and Merritt school districts with Leavenworth School District. Parents living in these areas up on Stevens Pass fought valiantly to save their tiny schools. The primary argument was Tumwater Canyon was too dangerous for school bus travel in the winter. Eventually Winton & Merritt schools were consolidated but the judge ordered two conditions in the merger: 1) the Leavenworth school district must maintain a school in the region, and 2) no bus travel with students may travel through Tumwater Canyon.
Eventually the road through the canyon was much improved and became US 2. At times the route through Tumwater Canyon is actually safer than using the Chumstick Beaver Hill road and the district decided to try to get the court order removed in regards to bus routes though the canyon.
We are excited to report Judge Leslie Allen approved the removal of the court order banning the use of Tumwater Canyon by Cascade school buses as of yesterday. We are now free to use this section of road just like the other 274 school districts in Washington. Last year, the district approved several “trips” through the canyon as the court order restricted “routes” which were determined to be "to and from school" transportation.
It’s been a long time coming, but we are no longer restricted from using this beautiful section of highway. The ski bus and sports teams will no longer need to take the long way through Lake Wenatchee to get over the pass.
STUDENT DATA VERIFICATION - ALL STUDENTS / ALL BUILDINGS
This is new this year in Family Access. The parent/guardian clicks on the "Student Data Verification" in family access for each of their currently enrolled students. This is where you update or verify your mailing address, phone numbers, emails, etc. You can also fill out the FREE/REDUCED LUNCH APPLICATION ON LINE HERE!!
Once you fill out information for one of your students and complete the step, the relevant information automatically populates into your other students. Complete all of the steps (green check mark shows) and finish. Free and Reduced lunch application information will then appear under "food service" on this same family access area. Once the application is approved or declined, you will see it appear on "food service" tab, upper right side under "applications".
MAKING PAYMENTS ONLINE - HOW TO
Our families now have the ability to pay for fees (any sports participation fees, ASB cards, yearbooks, and food services, etc) online through family access! You can do this anytime. There is a $1.75 convenience fee per “cart”.
- Family access can be found on the district website at www.cascadesd.org, right side under “Quick Links”
- Log in (get your login and password from your school building office if you don’t have it).
- All of your children should appear on one page. You can purchase for all of your children here.
- On the left side, click “Fee Management”.
- This should bring up the fee management page. Click “add a fee” at your students account.
- At the bottom of the page you can choose the fee(s) that you would like to add – VERY IMPORTANT – click on DISPLAY FEES and check ALL OF THE BOXES, then SAVE. This brings up ALL sports for the year. Add as many as are applicable or that you wish to pay at this time. Hit the back button at top right and you will see these fees then populate under your students’name. Then go to your next student and do the same steps. There is a family sports fee cap of $200 per family for CHS & IRMS - the system will automatically adjust when your purchase is over $200.
- Once you have finished adding all the fees to all of your students (including food service). Now click “make a payment”. At this screen you update the payment amount for fees and you can also make a payment for food services (make sure you use “update payment amount” on each of these for each student). At any time if you make a mistake you can “empty the cart”. Once you have finished with updating the amounts – you will then end up at the screen asking you to Update the cart (you will see a total line next to this button).
- At this point, you should have all amounts ready (fees and food service) to go for all of your students. Click the button at the top “Pay with Vendor”.
- If you have already made a previous payment on line (food service) – all of your credit card and account information will be in the system and you just click through to the end. If not, you will need to type in and create an account along with a credit/debit card you wish to use (don’t forget an email too so the program can email a receipt to you).
Online Athletic Registration is now available for high school and middle school athletes.
Chelan County Alerts
Sign up to receive emergency alerts and severe weather warnings that could directly impact you and your family.
Chelan County is able to send you emergency alerts via text message, email, pager, or voice mail (in extreme cases), based on your preferences. It is important that we collect this contact information because many households no longer utilize traditional land-based telephone lines.
The system is intended to be used for emergency alerts, as well as non-emergency incidents that may have significant impacts to residents. Emergency Alerts could be related to specific hazards that require some kind of action be taken such as evacuation, shelter in place, boil water orders, etc. Non-emergency alerts could include significant transportation problems with prolonged impacts or significant ongoing police or fire activity. This list is not meant to be all inclusive, and demonstrates that this system will not be used for routine information. In addition to receiving information on your wireless device, you may also receive notification on your land telephone line (if you have one) depending on the type of incident or event.
Please provide your address and preferred method(s) of contact. Adding your address will allow tailoring so you do not receive alerts that do not pertain to your geographical area.
These alerts are provided free of charge, however standard text messaging rates and other charges may apply.
Facilities Use (see above Department/Facilities)
The Cascade School District is happy to allow community members to use any of the facilities (buildings or fields), however we will begin construction on or about April 1, 2016 which will impact two of our four Leavenworth fields and will severely impact our outside facility use.
If this is your first time reserving some of our facilities, please read the facilities packet (above under Department/Facilities) which includes our school policy, procedure, pricing and the facilities use form. Save some time and look over the facility use calendar beforehand to make sure what you would like to reserve/rent is available. If you have questions regarding facilities use, you may contact Teresa D, Facilities/Grounds Supervisor, 548-5885, firstname.lastname@example.org.